Infusion Therapy Self-Study Course
Infusion therapy is an efficient way to deliver all aspects of fluid and medication infusion by “intravenous” application. Besides the many benefits, there are inherent risks that must be considered. Licensed Practical Nurses have a responsibility to keep current in their knowledge and competent in all areas of their professional practice through up-to-date continuing education. Safe practice is paramount.
The purpose of this course is to provide Licensed Practical Nurses with a review and update of the key concepts of infusion therapy.
This course consists of an IV Therapy Study Guide; several practice quizzes and several other resources. To access a learning activity, simply click on the Link. After you have completed an activity, return to this page to proceed to the next one.
Key nursing outcomes from this course include:
- Understanding the scope of practice for intravenous infusion therapy in Alberta
- Self-assessment of knowledge and competency of the principles of infusion therapy including blood and blood products, total parenteral nutrition, central line care, implanted ports and client controlled analgesia
- Identifying clients at risk and the additional precautions for those older, younger, with an infection, immunosuppressed, on antibiotic therapy and those having multiple invasive procedures
- Monitoring infection prevention and control
- Managing various complications that can occur in peripheral intravenous therapy
- Providing health teaching and coaching about infusion therapy
Quick Links: Additional Resources | Final Exam
Course Modules and Exercises
Module 1: Key Concepts of Infusion Therapy
- Read Section 1 in the Study Guide (PDF | Digital)
- View video on Body Fluids (YouTube)
- Complete learning activity – Functions / indications of imbalance of electrolytes (PDF | Digital)
- Do Knowledge Check quiz for Module 1 (15 random questions from 40)
Module 2: Descriptions and Definitions
- Read Section 2 in the Study Guide (PDF | Digital)
- View video on PCA Pump Setup (Youtube)
- Do Knowledge Check quiz for Module 2 (15 random questions from 20)
Module 3: Management of Peripheral Infusion Therapy
- Read Section 3 in the Study Guide (PDF | Digital)
- View video 1 – Assembling and priming the line (YouTube)
- View video 2 – Applying and removing IV dressings (YouTube)
- View video 3 – Primary and secondary lines (YouTube)
- View video 4 – Using the Alaris infusion pump (YouTube)
- View video 5 – Discontinuing a peripheral IV infusion (YouTube)
- Complete learning activity – Infusion rate calculations: This quiz assesses your knowledge and skills in calculating the correct intravenous (IV) dosages, flow rates and administration times. (25 questions randomly selected from 100 items).
- Do Knowledge Check quiz for Module 3 (15 random questions from 26)
Module 4: Complications of Peripheral Infusion Therapy
- Read Section 4 in the Study Guide (PDF | Digital)
- Complete learning activity – Potential complications of peripheral intravenous therapy (PDF | Digital)
- Do Knowledge Check quiz for Module 4 (15 random questions from 30)
Module 5: Central Line Care
- Read Section 5 in the Study Guide (PDF | Digital)
- Complete learning activity – Central line care (PDF | Digital)
- Do Knowledge Check quiz for Module 5 (15 random questions from 30)
Module 6: Blood and Blood Products
- Read Section 6 in the Study Guide (PDF | Digital)
- Do Knowledge Check quiz for Module 6 (15 random questions from 43)
Module 7: Spinal and Epidural Infusions
- Read Section 7 in the Study Guide (PDF | Digital)
- Complete learning activity – Spinal and epidural infursions (PDF | Digital)
- Do Knowledge Check quiz for Module 7 (15 random questions from 53)
Module 8: Total Parenteral Nutrition
- Read Section 8 in the Study Guide (PDF | Digital)
- Complete learning activity – TPN (PDF | Digital)
- Do Knowledge Check quiz for Module 8 (15 random questions from 35)
Module 9: Infusion Therapy for Special Populations
- Read Section 9 in the Study Guide (PDF | Digital)
- Do Knowledge Check quiz for Module 9 (15 random questions from 30)
Module 10: Health Teaching and Coaching, Client Concerns and Documentation
- Read Section 10 in the Study Guide (PDF | Digital)
- View Baxter Infusion video on various forms of central line (Youtube)
- Complete learning activity – Documentation for various types of infusion (PDF | Digital)
Final Examination – This final exam consists of 70 randomly selected questions from a pool of 170 items. A printable CLPNA Certificate of Completion is available upon passing this exam with a score of 80% or better. If you are an Alberta LPN, please enter your Registration Number when requested. Everyone else, leave in the default number. If you want a copy of the Final Exam Results e-mailed to yourself (or anyone else), enter the appropriate e-mail address. Otherwise, leave it blank. (Results are ONLY e-mailed if you have passed the exam).
Infusion Therapy Course Evaluation – Please complete this online survey after finishing this sef-study course. Your feedback and comments will greatly assist CLPNA in developing and delivering effective, quality nursing educational resources.
- Further Readings and Resources (PDF | Digital) – List of additional readings and sources of information on infusion therapy.
- Infusion Study Guide (PDF | Digital) – The complete Study Guide for this course.
- MyHealth.Alberta Educational Resources
MacEwan University – Initiation of IV Therapy – NURS 0150, NURS 0159 and NURS 0151
- NorQuest College – Infusion Therapy for Nurses – XHLT 1520
- Bow Valley College – IV Initiation, Infusion and Medication Administration – Nurs9213
- Northern Alberta Institute of Technology – IV Certification Workshop for Healthcare Professionals
The quizzes and final exam can be completed on regular browsers, tablets and smart phones. For iPhones and iPads, download and install the FREE iSpring viewer from the iTunes Store. For Android devices, iSpring Play is available here. The quizzes can also be downloaded and saved on your mobile device and completed off-line at your convenience.
The learning activities can be played on regular browsers, iPads/iPhones and Android tablets. For best viewing on Apple's iPad/iPhone, download and install the FREE Articulate Player App from the iTunes Store. If you are using an Android tablet, download and install the FREE Android Player App from Google Play. The games can also be downloaded to your tablet for off-line use.
To view and download the PDF/PRINT documents requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.
If you are using these quizzes or final exam for class assignments or continuing education credits, and want a copy of the Results for your records, enter your name when requested. Otherwise, use Guest and proceed with the quiz or exam. No results or scores are recorded or tracked!